Wednesday, July 8, 2009

DVS, I love them

Guessing that eventually KDE will move to Git and specifically to Gitorious, I created a repository there for Rubots last week.
As it seems that the transition is starting already with Amarok and Taglib coming next and as noone has so for contributed to Rubots (logically and normal in its current state), I have decided to ignore KDE SVN and work only with Gitorious.


KDE moving to a distributed versioning system is great news. We just can not foresee how powerful and beneficial this will be for the project. I can see KDE software(Amarok, plasma ...) with several branches, when release beta time comes, projects will point to their correct branch to be retrieved as beta. They can keep an always summer branch, larger changes, etc in other branches, etc.

I am particularly excited because we can lower the entrance barrier insanely. Things like a dependencies file in the projects pointing to other branches needed to compile it. So one can download one project to make some small patch and automatically any dependency will be there also. Everything can be changed, compiled and committed right away.

2 comments:

  1. Yes it's great news, I can't wait to stop using git-svn and use the real thing.

    I also can't wait to try that cool Rubots thing you're working on.

    btw : Your Rubtos repo's link has "http" twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Solved

    Yes, Git for the masses! I will love it

    ReplyDelete